BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Change is a good thing...

I have been reading a book recently that has forced me to stop and think, in detail, about the changes that God has brought about in me in the past few years. I am beginning to wonder if you can wake up as the same person two days in a row. Things on the outside change you, change your perspectives. Not only that, but as a Christian, you have something on the inside constantly working to change you as well. For instance, today I am more clam and collected than I was yesterday. And a year ago? I was very easily rattled, not to mention quite a bit more arrogant and substantially less understanding of the viewpoints of others. I was much less willing to let God have a say in anything. And ten years ago? What could be said of who I was then versus who i am now? That is like comparing two different people; I possessed almost none of the qualities that I do now. However, ten years from now, I hope to be more in tune with the qualities that God is awakening in me. Most of all, I hope I am more of a people person. 

The thing is, we have to be wide awake to life. I am very aware of the beautiful wife I share my home with, the wonderful food that I ate today, the friends, the sunlight on the leaves at the park around sunset. Unfortunately, the cost of living wide awake is that I also must feel the sting of the betrayals I face, the pain of the words that are said to me in anger, the gnawing emptiness of a lost loved one; but the cost of not living wide awake is much greater. I spend each day trying to wake myself up more and more to my life in God. We accomplish nothing when we walk through life in a trance, and we miss so much of what this world that God created has to offer. Sure, sleepwalking through the day can keep us numb to the pain, but I can't describe to you what it feels like to live and breathe and take my every moment of being from him and his goodness. You have to work on the relationship.

Now, I want to pose a thought: what would God say if you went to marriage or relationship counseling with Him? I think He would probably tell me that I put words in his mouth too much; to which I would reply that he confuses the hell out of me most of the time, which can be very frustrating. Not to mention the times when he clams up. 

The important thing with God is the important thing in any relationship: keep up the conversation...









No comments:

Post a Comment