BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Necessity of Community

First off, let me say how important it is to me for you guys to join in the discussion by leaving comments. A blog without comments is simply a journal lying open on a table, with everyone reading over it, thinking their own thoughts, and walking away. You will never bother me, even if your comment tears my blog to shreds.

I say this because it is an important part of the point that I am about to make, which is actually something that God has been dealing with me a lot about lately, which is the importance of each and every one of us to each other, that is to say, the importance of healthy Christian community and fellowship. I think this is something that was lost on me from the early days of may salvation experience, although it is probably the reason for everything else I have ever done in my life. See, people have this inherent tribal need for community, and this need fuels the reasons behind every social activity, from Facebook addiction to street gangs to night clubs to fan clubs, we all want to belong to a group of people that understand us, that share in our hurts and triumphs, that we can identify with and even label ourselves as. This need also helped to create the Christian sub-culture that we have today, which has become more of a social club that is exclusive to anyone who doesn't have the proper t-shirt or jargon.

When I first came into relationship with God, I felt for the longest time like I was the only person my age in the county who had done so, with the exception of the occasional super-lame, bible thumper who was not relational to anyone other than a devout follower of the "turn or burn" school of theology. Then I met the hypocrites. Statistically, there is something like 7% of my age group that even attend church on a regular basis, and even fewer who are true followers of Christ in all it's biblical implications. The majority of the people who do attend church in my age group tend to do so either out of guilt or habit, with no real depth of faith or honest devotion to Christ and his teachings. This was a bit discouraging, since every time I had an issue on how to live out my faith, I had to talk to someone who was too old to really be able to relate to the situation at hand. Although their hindsight and wisdom were very helpful, I was really searching for someone to go through things with me, to hold my hand across the waves as a physical, tangible, and audible form of the love of Christ.

Then I found a group of young men and women who, although far short of perfect, possessed the perfect love of Christ in such a practical way, that Ash and I were instantly welcomed into their fold, never feeling for one day like an outsider or a visitor. We made fast friends with several of them, and can now not only have the deep conversations and discussions that we needed to have with others as we all figured our faith out together, but can also just have a good time and enjoy the life that God has blessed us with.

Which brings me to my point; Paul the Apostle said the body of Christ is to operate exactly like the human body operates. We are all given different but specific gifts and qualities so that we might come together as a whole and serve, edify, and encourage each other. Just as the head cannot say that is has no need of the feet, we all are tied together in desperate need for each other. God designed his church, his body, to be this way. Even God himself exists as three who are one but separate, Father, Sprit, and Son, in perfect loving relationship with each other since the beginning of time. Hebrews 10:24-25 tells us that we are supposed to gather together for two purposes; to encourage each other in love and to do good works. James tells us in his letter of the healing power of conversation and confession, or complete honest openness, with other believers.

I cannot tell you what a difference a healthy and strong fellowship of believers will do for your relationship with God and the quality of your life; it is something that has to be experienced, and I do not mean on Sunday morning, after which we retire to our work weeks and our own lives, not to cross paths again until the following weekend is drawing to a close. The end of the second chapter of Acts tells us clearly of the practices of the early church, and yes, they did gather together to worship as one huge body once a week, but we have missed the most important part. They gathered together EVERY DAY from house to house, eating, talking, enjoying life together, experiencing life together, doing life together. This is a a major peice of the full life we have in Christ.

We are called not only to be the hands and feet of Christ to the world, but to be his ears, and shoulders and arms, and even his laugh and his love, to the ones he has put in our lives to encourage, and to encourage us...



I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and to hear stories of how healthy community has affected each of you. Most of all, if you don't have this in your life, I would like to talk to you about how you can get some REAL friends, and really get connected with the love and heart of God.

I have an exciting announcement for my next entry, and I hope that the discussion will be sparked by this one, as the next one will be built upon your comments!


3 comments:

  1. I think your comments are very insightful. I think that many people in the church today have no idea about how to live the Christian life. My problem is that I feel I am unequally yoked with most of the "church" people my age and other "Christian" friends I have from facebook and school, ect. I would love to have meaningful fellowship with other believers, but so many my own age are more concerned with playing Wii than reading the Word. I think the enemy uses things like video games and tv to suck up your time and keep you away from fellowship with God. He never leaves us or forsakes us, but we also must seek Him and relate to Him. It is discouraging to me that I can post a comment on facebook about how many people got saved at church, and get virtually no response. If I post about something stupid like what I am eating, I get tons of response. In college, I had a lot more friends to fellowship with on a regular basis who were about where I am in my spiritual walk. Due to distance and family and career obligations, I do not get to talk to them anymore like I would like to. I also think we are living in the last days, and those who are simply playing church are in grave danger. More people need to be educated about the love of Christ and what it truly means to hunger and thirst after righteousness and live life abundantly. I just wish I could find a group of friends who were seeking the deeper things of God. Thanks for diving me a place to vent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, "giving" me a place to vent

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, this kind of stuff helps me get ideas! You are right, as much as we love to hang out, and as awesome as playing games and watching movies can be, I feel the same way, that stuff should come after the study anf d prayer and just time with God has taken place!

    ReplyDelete